Friday 5 February 2016

Create February Fabulous! - The Darkness: Side Two

Day 4 and 5

The creative challenge continues. It is less challenging now and is turning into something I am very eager to partake in every day. I originally started this because I used to procrastinate massively. I love creating things but I always found an excuse not to do it. I came up with this project to see what would happen if I was accountable only to myself. Then I decided it might be a grand idea to share it. 

Sharing it is proving rather beneficial because I can see how other people create and that in itself is massively inspiring. For myself, I am uncovering some truths that I hope will in turn inspire other people to begin a creative habit of their own. I believe humans are meant to create and when we do, we tend to feel and act much better.

So here is Day 4 and 5. I have found myself returning to my main weapon of choice... words. The poems seem to be reflecting my burgeoning interest in my creativity. I don't spend overly long on each one. Perhaps 30 minutes. I like these short bursts of creativity. I like being kind to myself rather than critical and judgemental. Art needs love and nurturing, that is for sure.




The Shadow Light

Inside ourselves two halves are true
Living back to back
Without them both creates not you
A faded sense of lack


We push and shove one side right down
Pretend that it's not there
And when our faces start to frown
We say we just don't care


The shadow sits inside of us
Protects us from the rain
But when it starts to moan and fuss
We stamp and curse the pain


We blame the clouds, our mum and dad
We swallow all our fears
We point at all that we think bad
And struggle with our tears


But here's the thing, that dark inside
Is actually our friend
The shadow of our self it rides
A mirror to us sends


It shows us where our thinking stuck
It triggers us to deal
The shit we face is just good luck
Another chance to feel


So if you meet your darker side
Today then dance with glee
Embrace it with your arms spread wide
Just listen, look and see


Allow it to flow freely through
It may be fast or loud
The darkness is just cleaning you
Passing like a cloud


Just sit and be and breath and smile
Don't swallow, swear or fight
The storm will pass in just a while
Like day transforming night.


Matt Rivers
4th February 2016





 The Warrior

From humble tales, a boy once grew,
Small of frame, with eyes pale blue.
His hair like straw, reflecting light,
Gleaming sun in the dead of night.

His heart was full and bright with love
With wings so soft and light as doves.
Great plans he had and dreams of gold,
Adventures planned and journeys bold.

But grow he did as seasons passed.
The light inside, it did not last.
He drew into a place of gloom,
Where monsters roamed and sang of doom.

Here he learned to fight and dance,
To stand his ground and take a chance.
He tried to break the monster’s trap
But the beast was strong and kept him back.

Until one day he met a man
Whose light was fire inside his hands.
His skin so dark and eyes so pale,
Wise words he spun into a tale.

The monster that you fight so hard
Lives within your mind my child.
When you fight you give him power,
Forever over you he’ll tower.

Instead approach him softly slow,
Your heart stretched wide with all you know.
Embrace that many coloured beast,
For all he needs is gentle peace.

He stood and all at once could see
Just how life was meant to be.
He took the monster in his arms
And spoke brave words of love and calm.

Just then the sun through clouds did crack
His light and plans came rushing back.
But now the wild inside him thrived,
An infinite sea of dreams they dived.

Matt Rivers
5th February 2016



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Create February Fabulous! is an idea or challenge to try and show up with your own creativity every day for the month of February. It is a simple idea. The creativity can take any form, and take any amount of time. Any media, any discipline, the only condition is to have fun. No critics, no judgement, just a celebration of our own unique human quality of creativity. You are encouraged to share your projects anywhere you like (only if you want) using the hashtag #createfebruary. Join the Facebook group, share on Instagram, blog about it, invite friends to some daily creativity. Let's see what we can create together. 

Matt is a singer/songwriter, musician, poet and writer of words. He is exploring the forests of consciousness, time and space, and surfing the waves of thought, love and being. Getting lost and wiping out are adventures in themselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment